Sign in to follow this  
Agua1

Coolant level sensor

Truck goes into shut down for low coolant, yet it is not low. Changed sensor and problem seemed solved. Long story short we are on sensor #3. all from freightliner. It doesn't stay fixed. Coolant has been replaced. Ideas?t

Guest Pacific Sweeping

What model freightliner and which engine is in it?

Guest Pacific Sweeping

Is there a relay in that portion of the shutdown circuit somewhere between ECM and the level sensor fuse? Check your grounds? Have you tried bypassing the connector with a fuse/paperclip and seeing if problem persists? Maybe malfunctioning ECM? Inspect wiring harness for open circuit? 

Guest Pacific Sweeping

Maybe run a continuity test from ECM pins to level sensor wires for open circuit or short to ground? 

This thing shut down in an HOA. We removed and cleaned every battery connection. We did try bypassing the coolant sensor. I actually used a paper clip. I unplugged the sensor and jumper it (hey I am old school). It kept the check engine light on, but it stopped shut down so we could move the truck. What finally got the light out and it all working was I had a 00 battery cable made and ran it directly from the batteries to the engine block. It has not failed since