Sign in to follow this  
Agua1

Broom Bear will not increase RPM

We have our first Broom Bear. a 2006 with Freightliner chassis and a cat engine. According to the owners manual when you engage the PTO, the engine is supposed to raise to 950 RPM. It doesn't. All components engage with the PTO switch, brooms, hopper etc. Any ideas?

Our experience with this issue appeared after having to replace the ECU. The Freightliner shop here does not have the parameter information for programming the ECU per Elgin specs. We had to provide another Broom Bear so they could download and transfer the information to the new ECU. We have had this on two separate occasions. 

Our saga continues. The friehtliner dealer says that the pins on the ECU where is should get this signal has nothing plugged into it. They did not know where to plug into it on the Elgin side. After talking to the tec, it was decided to take the truck away from the dealership. Seems like I would be paying a premium for them to learn. It is not at the Elgin dealer. They are getting information from the company in Chicago that modified the Freightliner before going to Elgin (so I am told).

Unfortunately this is our one and only Broom Bear so we do not have a second to compare to. 

I wanted to give you an update as to what the problem was. The freightliner dealer that said it was never connected was wrong. I guess they just wanted it to go away. with help from our Elgin dealer, we took it to another frightliner dealer and they found bad connectors at the TCU (the ones that supposedly were not there. After replacing them, still did not work. 

They asked if we could bring in another sweeper to compare but we only have the one, so that was not happening

Supposedly the PTO switch sends signal to the Transmission control unit (TCU) and that sends to the engine control unit (ECU). My tec remembered that the cruise control did not work and it occurred that that too was controlled by the ECU. So we had them check something they were more familiar with and what do you know, the perimeters on the ECU were wrong. Fix the cruise and the PTO works.

We had them print us out the parameters for the ECU